Sleeping fetus = mini-heart attack

Friday was our first appointment with Dr. K for this pregnancy. My appointment was at 8am. I returned home at 11:30am. T. wasn't able to join me due to work obligations so he was freaking out when I finally did get in touch with him. PGAL does a lot to mess with one's mind and expectations.

After an hour of filling out medical records and paperwork I finally had the opportunity for an ultrasound. Prior to the appointment I had been trying not to freak out telling myself that (other than history) I had no reason to worry about this LO.

In the u/s room I hopped up on the table, pulled up my shirt, unbuttoned my pants and the OB resident, under the supervision of Dr. K began to do the u/s. She was a bit clumsy but I tried to be patient with her. She found the fetus quickly and LO was just chilling. I didn't see the heartbeat right away and I tried not to freak out. In real time it was probably about 2 seconds my in my mind it felt like a lifetime. They finally found the heartbeat and measured it at a healthy 164 beats per minute. I got to hear it and it sounded wonderful.

Next the went to get the measurements and LO still hadn't really moved. I was trying not to be worried about it. The doctors were trying not to be worried about it either but I could tell they were a little concerned. They said a few times, "Did you have anything to eat this morning?" I assured them I had eaten but it was a few hours ago. Dr. K kept saying, "We'll give it a few minutes." He would take the wand away and do something else and  come back. He asked me to cough a few times and LO still wasn't doing much.  After one cough there was a little movement but nothing sustained. By this time inside my head I was really struggling not to completely freak out. I kept focusing on the heartbeat and saying, "a heartbeat is good." But then my PGAL mind would race to, "omg! what if there is something wrong with the brain and that's why LO isn't moving???" It took some control to not lose it. During one of the waits I started poking my belly and jiggling it in hopes of getting the LO active. Dr. K had taken over by this point and the resident was standing beside me. I turned to her and said, "At what point should I start worrying about the lack of movement!!??" She stroked my hand and said, "He'll tell us if we need to worry." It was mildly comforting. 

You could feel the tension in the room. Finally, and it did feel like an eternity, LO started  moving and flailing its little arms and legs. A collective sigh of relief washed over the room. Dr. K didn't really say anything just turned off the monitor and said, "Here are your pictures." I took that to be a good sign.  I later asked the resident if 11w old fetuses sleep and she said yes. So I'm really hoping that LO is just lazy like its mom and was just taking a nice nap, dreaming of kitty snuggles. 

The rest of the appointment was uneventful after the ultrasound. It appears that I will be having a cerclage inserted next Thursday. In addition to the pre-op blood work Dr. K has ordered a ton of other tests. It is fine with me. I'd much prefer to go overboard and rule out anything and everything.

Our next office visit will be a week after the cerclage and then every two weeks. The cerclage will stay in place until 37 weeks. Let's hope the cerclage is the answer to a successful pregnancy that results in a live, healthy full term LO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bed rest!

Getting high from the fumes.

Waiting is the hardest part.