Guilt.

Loss moms tend to experience a tremendous amount of guilt. When your baby dies with no official explanation as to what happened you constantly search for how you might've contributed to the situation. Was it something I ate? Something I did? Something I didn't do? It takes a while to accept that often things just are, and that's the best explanation we can hope for.

One of my biggest moments of guilt isn't so much about what I could've done to save Sylvie but related to how I handled her loss. The day we lost her we went to L&D because we had made it to 21w so it was now a baby and not just a fetus. The nurses hooked me up to the monitor and Sylvie was doing great a strong heart beat and lots of swooshing sounds that indicated her movement.  The monitor was so loud and her movements were so loud that at one point I asked the nurses if they could turn down the monitor because the noise was distracting.  Little did I know that would be one of the last times I would hear my vivacious daughter enjoying her little life in my tummy. I feel like such a bad mother for not enjoying and embracing that sound.  In some ways I wish T. had tape recorded her HB and swooshes but on the other hand I'm not sure I could ever listen to those sounds. (Wow. Pregnancy hormones are hitting hard today. Pass the tissues.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bed rest!

Getting high from the fumes.

Waiting is the hardest part.